Friday, May 22, 2009

Tangerine

The first alternative I tried was Tangerine. It's a small application that does not run from the command line, but is a gnome app. You can get it by going to Add/Remove in the Applications menu and searching all sources for "Tangerine".

Here's Tangerine's homepage.

I had two problems with Tangerine:

1) It randomly selected a port to stream the music over. This made it impossible to use with a firewall - I hoped to be able to simply open port 3689, but no. However, if your network is set up so that all of your computers have an internal IP address (i.e., 192.168.x.x), this should not be a problem.

2) I have a large mp3 library (>18,000 songs). Tangerine didn't cope with it very well. It would only share about 4,000 songs, and there seemed to be no pattern as to which songs it excluded.

These two things might not be a problem for you, however. So give it a go.

5 comments:

  1. Tangerine is truly evil. I much prefer Firefly, though it does seem to crash weekly. My solution? A cron job which restarts the server every Sunday night while I'm sleeping. That seems to solve it for me.

    As to the first/last name problems ... I hadn't noticed it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Tangerine suffers from being too simple I think. When it goes wrong there's really nothing you can tinker with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another issue is Tangerine is a Mono app.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good about Tangerine is that it's a Mona app.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm. I've been running mt-daapd for some time now serving to two Roku soundbridge devices. I found it easy to confiure (I only edited the path to the files) and it never crashes. I'm running 0.9~r1696.dfsg-6lenny2 on Debian 5.0.3

    ReplyDelete