Friday, May 22, 2009

Rhythmbox

I am currently trying out Rhythmbox on my Ubunutu box to share mp3s.

Here's Rhythmbox's home page. You can install it with...

sudo apt-get install rhythmbox 

or install it from "Add/Remove..." box under Applications.

It claims to be inspired by Apple's iTunes, and this is visible in the layout of the application. It took a few clicks to load my library. And that took under five minutes to actually load. Nice. It does not have DAAP sharing in Edit > Preferences, as you'd expect (and where it is located in iTunes), but you have to go to the Edit > Plugins menu item.

"DAAP Music Sharing" was a pre-installed plugin that I simply had to enable. Clicking on configure brings up a box that you cannot fail to get right.

So far, it is working well. Though I have to remember to close the application, so it minimises to the menu bar at the top right and runs in the background, rather than quit the application, which stops the DAAP share also.

I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. It's not right, you know. I don't know about you, but I am NOT running a GUI app to stream or share music. It's just plain wrong.

    mt-daapd seemed to be the perfect answer (if only it wouldn't crash).

    ReplyDelete