Friday, May 22, 2009

DAAP name sorting question

While I'm here, I have a question. I'd ask the firefly forums, but, like the program they purport to support, they are non-functioning.

When browsing music in iTunes (non-DAAP shared, just regular browsing), artists with their first and last names are sorted by their last name. I like this. However, when I am browsing a DAAP share in iTunes (OS X), artists are sorted by their first name. Then when you play a song from that artist it resorts it by last name - this makes iTunes think there are two artists (Yorke Thom and Thom Yorke, for example). This makes it virtually impossible to, for example, bring up a single artist and play all the songs therein, since it all gets sorted into the other, phantom, second artists. Grr.

This applied to mt-daapd, and it seems to apply to Rhythmbox too, so may be a general DAAP problem. How can I fix this? Any ideas, oh-so-wise internet hive-mind?

1 comment:

  1. I haven't seen this, but some MP3s have an additional "artist sort" tag. It may be the case that the client uses these tags if they are available, but that DAAP doesn't provide them - this might mean that they become available when the client starts to read the actual file contents.

    ReplyDelete